Little Fish in a Giant pond

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Thanks to the Sens

I don't think I've ever kept the fact that I am a tried and true, die-hard leaf fan a secret. Always have been, always will be. But as much as this is so, I found it hard not to cheer for the Sens in their quest for the cup this year. I guess it all started in the first round, when they made me eat my words (not to mention lose my hair!). They managed to beat a team, that in my opinion was better than them, and that if nothing else is deserving of respect. The fact that they got past Jersey was no surprise. The Devils were lucky to have gotten past Tampa Bay. They really won my respect when they blew past the President's Cup winning Buffalo Sabres in a mere five games.

While it is true that a few years of winning teams have made Sens fans pretty arrogant over the last few years, at least they would have appreciated a Stanley Cup. Yeah the Anaheim fans are cheering pretty loudly right now, but somehow I doubt that Lord Stanley's prize will truly be appreciated there. And true, hockey has been in California for decades now, and is relatively secure there, but I am certain that this cup will not be appreciated nearly as much as it would have been appreciated in Ottawa.

The heartache is compounded by the fact that the last three cups have been won by American teams from warm climates against Canadian teams.

I suppose an Anaheim victory is not quite as disgusting as it would have been if it had occured while they were The Mighty Ducks, owned by Disney, and I guess the Ducks also have more Canadian players, but Canada needs a cup.

Hopefully my boys in blue will be answering the call, but they have a lot of work to do in the meantime, right now I'd settle for making the playoffs.

But if nothing else the Sens were fun to watch, even as they lost in the finals. To them I say "thanks for a good season guys, you tried your best and in the end it just wasn't enough, but well done anyways".

3 Comments:

  • leafs will choke anyways...

    hope that the leafs will make it through the playoff is futile.

    resistance to Montreal's greatness is futile.

    You will be assimilated

    =)

    By Blogger Vicky, at 8:29 PM  

  • Thanks bud, from a red blooded sens fan, couldn't have said it better...

    and before bandwagoners start crying for blood lets keep things in perspective... they did beat Buffalo for the Eastern Conference Championship and played for the hardest trophy to win in professional sport... they did a Damn good job this year, and god willing, will have finally carved out a niche for a solidified fan base here in Ottawa!

    GO SENS GO!!

    By Blogger UofO Liberal, at 3:36 PM  

  • As a signature that what you have is a genuine replica bags product, each Louis Vuitton Damier Canvas - as I was made to understand - comes with a serial number inside. You just open the handbag, even as you go about shopping for it, and right inside there, the first thing you come across is the serial number clearly emblazoned in some cute script.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home