Little Fish in a Giant pond

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My candidacy for Policy Director of the UOYL



Greetings fellow liberals!
My name is Brian Fisher, I am a first year law student here at the U of O and I am running for the privilege of being your policy director for the 2006-2007 UOYL executive. I am relatively new to the club, though I have been involved with the liberal party in one form or another since I was in high school.
As liberals we are currently experiencing a unique opportunity. We are in the very privileged position of being able to form a small part of the rebirth of the greatest political party in Canadian history. The liberal party is not on its heels as the people on the other side of the House of Commons would have you believe. It is my belief that this party is experiencing little more than a healthy period of transition, which must exist within any functional democracy. Here are a few of the initiatives that I intend to push, if elected to the position of policy director:

- I will support any initiatives to complete the bilingualisation of the University of Ottawa Young Liberals. We must not forget that this is Canada’s university, and we are situated in Canada’s national capital. It is of the utmost importance that we hold our club to the same standard that we hold our nation.
- I will push for the establishment of clear electoral procedures and regulations at both the club and OYL levels. The UOYL and OYL have gone too long without such important democratic tools, and it’s time for a change!
- I intend to continue the practice established by the current executive of holding policy discussions at regular general meetings. This was a major step in the right direction, and I look forward to keeping up the stride.
- I will ensure that UOYL policies receive adequate and competent representation at the Eastern Region Policy Parliament. Because you deserve a strong voice!

I would also like to take the time to extend my support to some people that I think will make worthy additions to the UOYL executive. Mackenzie Johnson is an honest and hardworking individual. You can count on him to deliver a solid year of devoted service as president of the UOYL.
In the time that I have gotten to know Mike Petric, I have found him to be both a highly competent individual, and a savvy political mind. I do not doubt that we will all be well served with him as our vice-president.
It is with the greatest pleasure that I extend my support to Jenna Rozema for the position of secretary. Jenna is an intelligent person, with a solid reputation within our club. It is well known that she is a hard working individual, with a no-nonsense attitude and a knack for getting things done.
François Pomerleau has established an excellent reputation for himself as treasurer this year, and I am anxious to see him continue to perform in that capacity once in the upcoming term.
Having earned himself quite the reputation for his excellent work on the new UOYL website (Which can be viewed at http://www.uoyl.ca/), I do not doubt that Patrick Kilfoil would make an excellent communications director.
Andrew Scott is an energetic person with great drive and ambitious ideas about how to improve the recruitment process of the UOYL, I believe he would make an awesome recruitment director.
Alex McBrien has proven himself to be an intelligent individual with good ideas for the future of our party; I would be pleased to have him as the social director of the UOYL.
Thank you very much, and I look forward to seeing you all at the AGM on Wednesday March 1st at 8:30pm.

All the best

Brian Fisher

À noter: une version fraçaise de ce document sera affichée sous peu.

1 Comments:

  • Pandora jewellery chaplet stands out aswell for its accommodating design. And the chaplet with a simple little dress will accept a "Midas touch" effect, even the a lot of characterless little dress can become acutely noble. But the chaplet and the simple dress accept the best effect, even admitting the a lot of accepted dress can be elegant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home